Signs of Heatstroke in Pets and How to Act Fast


A few summers ago, I almost lost my dog Biscuit to heatstroke. And I say "almost" with a heavy heart because I still think about that afternoon more than I should.

It was a Saturday. I had taken Biscuit, my four-year-old Golden Retriever, to the park in the late morning. The weather felt okay when we left the house, but by the time we were thirty minutes into our walk, the sun was blazing and the humidity was unbearable. Biscuit loves running, so I let him chase the ball a few times. He seemed fine. Then he sat down and would not get up.

I thought he was just tired. That was my first mistake.

By the time I noticed he was panting so hard that his tongue looked almost purple, I panicked. I had no water with me (second mistake), no shade nearby, and no idea what to do next. A kind woman passing by with her own dogs told me calmly, "Your dog is overheating. You need to cool him down right now." She handed me a bottle of water and poured some on his paws and neck while I rushed to get the car.

That day changed how I approach pet care completely. I did a lot of research after that, talked to our vet, and paid close attention to everything about heat and animals. If you are a pet parent, especially in warm climates or during summer months, this is one of those things you cannot afford to learn the hard way. So let me share what I know now.

Why Heatstroke Happens So Fast

Here is something most people do not realize: pets cannot regulate their body temperature the way humans do. We sweat all over our bodies. Dogs and cats sweat only through their paw pads, and they rely mostly on panting to cool down. When the air around them is already hot and humid, panting barely helps. Their internal temperature rises fast, sometimes dangerously fast.

A dog's normal body temperature sits between 101 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. When it climbs above 104, you are in dangerous territory. Above 106 and you are looking at organ failure, brain damage, and in the worst cases, death. And that climb can happen in under ten minutes.

Cats are a little more heat-tolerant by nature but they are not immune. Senior pets, overweight animals, flat-faced breeds like Pugs, Bulldogs, Persian cats, and pets with heart or respiratory conditions face even higher risk.

The Signs You Need to Know (Do Not Brush These Off)

I brushed off Biscuit's heavy panting because I thought it was normal after exercise. That mistake still haunts me. Here is what actually signals heatstroke, broken down in plain language:

Early warning signs:

  • Heavy, rapid panting that does not slow down when the dog rests
  • Drooling more than usual, sometimes thick or sticky saliva
  • Restlessness or acting confused and disoriented
  • Bright red or very dark gums and tongue
  • Skin that feels hot to the touch, especially around the ears and paws
  • Looking for shade constantly or trying to lie flat on cool surfaces

More serious signs that mean get moving immediately:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea (sometimes with blood)
  • Muscle tremors or weakness in the legs
  • Glassy or unfocused eyes
  • Loss of coordination, stumbling or falling
  • Collapsing or being unable to stand up
  • Seizures
  • Unresponsive or unconscious

If you are seeing the later signs, this is a full emergency. Do not wait to see if it passes. It will not.

For cats, the signs are similar but they also tend to breathe with their mouths open (which is not normal for a cat), sweat through their paw pads leaving wet footprints, and groom themselves obsessively to use saliva for cooling.

What to Do Right Now (Step by Step)

When I got Biscuit to the car that day, I turned the AC on full blast and drove straight to the vet. That was the right instinct. But there are things I should have also done on the way, and things I absolutely should not have done. Here is what the vet told me afterward.

Step 1: Move them out of the heat immediately.

Get your pet into shade or indoors. If you are near a car, turn on the air conditioning. Do this first, before anything else.

Step 2: Offer cool water, not cold.

Let them drink if they are conscious and able to swallow. Small sips. Do not force water into an unresponsive animal because they can choke. Ice water or very cold water can cause blood vessels to constrict, which actually makes cooling slower. Room temperature or slightly cool water works better.

Step 3: Apply cool (not ice cold) water to their body.

Focus on the paw pads, groin area, armpits, and back of the neck. These spots have blood vessels close to the surface and help bring the temperature down faster. You can use a wet cloth, a bottle of water, whatever you have.

Step 4: Use a fan if available.

Air moving over a wet animal speeds up cooling significantly. Even sticking your pet's head near a car vent while you drive helps.

Step 5: Check their gums.

Healthy gums are pink and moist. If they look pale, blue, white, or brick red, that is a bad sign and means internal distress. This is important information to share with your vet when you arrive.

Step 6: Get to a vet as fast as you can.

Even if your pet seems to be recovering, go to the vet anyway. Internal damage from overheating is not always visible from the outside. Kidney damage, blood clotting issues, and brain swelling can develop hours after the initial event. Your vet can run blood work and fluids to make sure everything is okay internally.

What NOT to Do (This Part Really Matters)

There is a lot of bad advice floating around online and I want to clear some of it up.

Do not use ice or ice water. This sounds counterintuitive because you want to cool them down fast, but ice causes the surface blood vessels to contract and actually traps heat inside the body. It can also cause shock.

Do not wrap them in wet towels. This sounds helpful but wet towels hold heat against the body rather than releasing it. Use wet cloths that you keep rewetting, or pour water directly on the skin and let it evaporate.

Do not leave them in a parked car to "cool down with the windows cracked." I feel like this is obvious but every summer people still do it. A car with cracked windows on a 90-degree day reaches 110 to 120 degrees inside within minutes. A cracked window does almost nothing.

Do not give medications like aspirin or ibuprofen. These are toxic to pets and will make things worse. Nothing from your medicine cabinet belongs inside your pet during a heat emergency.

Do not wait to see if they improve on their own. If you are genuinely worried, go to the vet. A wasted trip is a lot better than a tragedy at home.

Who Is Most at Risk (Know Your Pet's Vulnerability)

After talking to my vet and doing my own reading, I learned that certain pets are much more vulnerable than others.

Brachycephalic breeds (flat-faced animals) are at the top of the list. Bulldogs, Pugs, French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, Boxers, Shih Tzus, Persian cats, Himalayan cats. Their shortened airways make breathing harder in the best conditions, and in heat it becomes genuinely dangerous. If you own one of these breeds, treat hot days like a medical situation waiting to happen.

Older pets and very young animals are also high risk. Puppies and kittens have not developed full temperature regulation yet. Senior animals often have underlying health conditions that make them less resilient.

Overweight pets overheat faster because extra body fat acts like insulation.

Dark-coated animals absorb more heat in direct sunlight.

Pets with heart disease, respiratory issues, or other chronic illness should be kept in cool environments during summer heat with little to no outdoor time during peak hours.

Prevention (The Part People Skip Until It Is Too Late)

I am not going to pretend prevention is complicated. It is mostly common sense, but it is easy to forget.

Walk your dog early in the morning or after sunset. Pavement that feels warm to your hand feels like a frying pan to dog paws, which can burn in under a minute. Stick to grass when possible.

Always carry water on walks. I now carry a collapsible silicone bowl and a water bottle every single time I leave the house with Biscuit. It weighs nothing and it saved us from being in a terrible spot again.

Never leave pets in parked cars. If you cannot take them inside with you, leave them at home.

Make sure your pet always has access to fresh, cool water indoors. Change it multiple times a day in summer because water warms up faster than you think.

If you do not have AC, keep curtains closed during peak afternoon hours. Fans help but they do not cool the air the way AC does. Frozen water bottles or ice packs wrapped in towels give pets something cool to lie against.

Watch for signs of overheating not just outdoors but inside too. On very hot days, indoor temperatures can rise high enough to be dangerous even without direct sun.

A quick resource I recommend for pet safety guidelines is the American Veterinary Medical Association's pet care page, which has solid, vet-backed information on hot weather safety for animals.

You can also check out VCA Animal Hospitals' article on heat stroke in dogs for a really thorough breakdown of what happens physically during overheating and what vets actually do to treat it.

The Lesson I Carry With Me Now

That afternoon at the park with Biscuit is burned into my memory. Not because something terrible happened, but because it almost did, and I was completely unprepared. I did not know the signs. I did not have water. I did not know what to do in the moment.

No pet owner should have to figure this out in a panic. Heat emergencies are fast and they are frightening, but they are also largely preventable and survivable if you know what to look for and act without hesitating.

Biscuit is fine now. He is actually asleep on the couch next to me as I type this. He still loves the park. He still chases the ball. We just go earlier now, and I never leave without water.

If this article saves even one pet, it was worth writing. Take care of your animals. They trust you completely, and in the summer heat, that trust really does put their lives in your hands.

Need More Help? Watch This Video:



Post a Comment

0 Comments