My dog once threw up on the back seat of my car. We were barely two hours into what was supposed to be a five-hour drive, and he had already panted himself into a full-on anxiety spiral. Windows were fogged, the smell was something I still try to forget, and my then girlfriend (now wife) refused to sit in that car again until we'd had it professionally cleaned twice.
That road trip was about six years ago. Since then, I've taken Biscuit and later our cat, Pistachio on dozens of long journeys. Some went smoothly. Others were genuinely rough. But I've learned a lot along the way, mostly through trial and error, and partly through talking to our vet who's been incredibly patient with my many panicked phone calls.
If you're planning a long car trip with your pet and you're nervous about how it's going to go, this is for you. I'm not going to hand you a generic checklist. I'm going to tell you what actually worked for us, what didn't, and what I wish someone had told me before that first horrible drive.
Why Pets Get Anxious in Cars in the First Place
Before you start trying solutions, it helps to understand what's actually going on with your pet.
For most dogs and cats, cars aren't natural environments. The vibration, the engine noise, the moving scenery outside the window, all of it can be genuinely disorienting. Add in the fact that they have no idea where they're going or how long it's going to take, and you've got a creature running on pure anxiety.
Some pets associate the car with the vet, which makes everything worse. The moment Pistachio sees the carrier come out, she goes into hiding mode. She's figured out the pattern: carrier appears , car ride , something uncomfortable happens.
Motion sickness is also very real in animals, especially young ones. Biscuit grew out of it mostly, but for the first two years of his life, any car ride longer than thirty minutes was a gamble.
The good news? All of this is manageable. Takes some preparation, but it's very doable.
Start Way Before the Trip: Like, Weeks Before
This is the mistake most people make. They plan the trip, pack the night before, load the pet up in the morning, and then wonder why everything goes sideways.
Desensitization takes time. If your pet isn't used to the car, you need to rebuild that association from scratch, and you can't do it in a day.
About three to four weeks before a long journey, I started taking Biscuit on short car trips. Not to the vet. To the park. To a friend's house. Somewhere he enjoyed. Ten minutes there, ten minutes back. Over and over. The car started meaning good things. Tail wags instead of trembling.
For Pistachio, I started leaving her carrier open in the living room weeks before any trip. Threw some treats in there, put a blanket she liked inside. She started napping in it voluntarily. That's when I knew we were making progress.
If you're reading this two days before your trip, okay, you're a bit late on this one. But do whatever short desensitizing runs you can. Even one or two positive car experiences before the big day helps.
The Carrier and Crate Setup Matters More Than You Think
Where your pet sits in the car is a huge deal.
For dogs, I'd strongly recommend a proper travel crate or a secured harness. Letting a dog roam free in the car isn't just stressful for the dog — it's genuinely dangerous. Biscuit used to sit in my lap while driving, which I thought was cute until my vet told me that in an accident, an unrestrained dog becomes a projectile. That mental image was enough for me to invest in a good crate immediately.
For cats, a hard-sided carrier is better than a soft one for long trips. Feels more enclosed and secure. Pistachio actually settles faster in her hard carrier than she does in the soft fabric one we bought first.
Put something familiar inside an old t-shirt with your scent, their usual blanket, a toy they like. These smell-based comfort cues are genuinely powerful for animals.
Cover the carrier partially with a light cloth if your cat or dog tends to get stressed by visual stimulation. This can help a lot with motion anxiety.
One thing I got wrong early on: I used to put Biscuit's crate in the very back of the SUV, thinking he'd have more space. What I didn't realize is that the back of a car has more vibration and movement. Once I moved him to the back seat and secured the crate with the seatbelt, he was noticeably calmer.
Food and Water : Get the Timing Right
Don't feed your pet a big meal right before a long drive.
I know this feels counterintuitive you want them comfortable, but a full stomach plus motion equals nausea. I learned this the hard way with Biscuit (see paragraph one of this article).
Our current routine: feed a light meal about three to four hours before departure. Then no more food until the first proper rest stop.
Water is different. Keep water available at stops, but don't let them drink huge amounts while the car is moving. A little is fine. A lot is asking for trouble.
For cats especially, they often don't drink much during travel anyway. Just offer water at every stop and don't stress if they ignore it. As long as they're drinking before and after the journey, they're usually okay.
Breaks Are Not Optional
On our first big road trip, I tried to "power through" because I wanted to make good time. This was a mistake for everyone in the car, not just the pets.
Now I plan stops every two to two and a half hours. Not just a two-minute gas station break a proper fifteen-to-twenty-minute stop where Biscuit can stretch his legs, sniff around, and pee. Pistachio usually stays in her carrier during stops, but I open the door and let air circulate.
These breaks make an enormous difference in how settled the pets are when you get back in the car. A dog who's had a walk and a bathroom break is a much calmer passenger than one who's been clenched up for four hours.
Plan your route with stop points in mind parks, rest areas, quiet spots where your pet can move around safely on a leash.
What Helped With Anxiety Specifically
For genuine anxiety (beyond just motion sickness), a few things made a real difference for us.
Calming sprays and diffusers. There are pheromone-based sprays like Adaptil for dogs and Feliway for cats that genuinely help some animals. You spray it on a bandana or in the carrier about fifteen to twenty minutes before travel. It doesn't knock them out — it just takes the edge off. It doesn't work for every pet, but for Pistachio it made a visible difference. She's still vocal, but she's less frantic. (You can find Adaptil at most pet stores or on Amazon — here's what it typically looks like so you know what to search for.)
Calming music or white noise. I started playing this specific "dog calming music" playlist on Spotify during drives and, honestly, I wasn't expecting much. But Biscuit does settle faster with it on. There's some research behind certain frequencies being soothing for dogs. Whether it's the music or just the fact that there's some ambient sound covering road noise, I can't say for certain. But it helps.
Thundershirts. For dogs who shake or pant heavily, a snug-fitting anxiety wrap (like a Thundershirt) can genuinely help. The principle is similar to swaddling a baby — the gentle pressure has a calming effect. We've had mixed results with it. It works better for Biscuit on days when his anxiety is mild. When he's really stressed, nothing short of a vet-prescribed sedative would calm him down.
Talk to your vet before a long trip. Seriously. If your pet has real anxiety around travel, a vet can prescribe something appropriate. We've used a mild sedative for Biscuit on very long drives (twelve-plus hours) and it made the trip safe and comfortable for everyone. Don't just guess with over-the-counter options what's fine for one dog can be dangerous for another depending on health conditions and weight. Your vet will know what's right. (Here's a helpful overview from the American Kennel Club on travel anxiety in dogs if you want to read more before your vet appointment.)
Temperature Is Constantly Underestimated
Cars heat up fast. Like, terrifyingly fast.
Even on a mild day, a parked car can become dangerous within minutes. I never leave the pets in the car alone if I can avoid it, and when I do stop (bathroom break for me while my wife walks Biscuit), I make sure the car is either running with the AC on or I park in the shade and crack the windows.
During the drive itself, keep the interior cooler than you'd normally have it for yourself. Pets especially dogs with thick coats run hotter than we do. What feels comfortable to you might be uncomfortable for them.
If you're driving through summer heat, plan your driving for early morning or evening when temperatures are lower. This one change can make a massive difference in how settled your pets are throughout the trip.
Common Mistakes I See Pet Owners Make
Since I've been in so many online pet travel groups and talked to other owners, here are the mistakes that come up again and again:
Skipping the pre-trip vet check. If your pet has an underlying health issue, long-distance travel can make it worse. Get a quick checkup before any major journey.
Using human medication. Please don't give your dog Benadryl or melatonin without asking your vet first. Some vets do recommend these in specific doses, but it depends on the individual animal.
Assuming a dog that seems fine on short trips will be fine on long ones. Fifteen minutes to the park is nothing like six hours on the highway. The duration changes everything.
Not bringing enough supplies. I now travel with: extra water, pet food, poop bags, a small first aid kit, an extra leash, a pet towel, and cleaning supplies for the car. Also paper towels. Always paper towels.
Forcing interactions during the trip. If your cat is hiding in the back of the carrier, don't keep reaching in to comfort them. Let them be. Forced interaction during stress makes it worse.
What the Journey Actually Looks Like Now
Six years on from that disastrous trip, our long drives look pretty different.
Biscuit loads into his crate without much drama because he knows good things tend to happen at the other end. Pistachio complains loudly for the first twenty minutes and then goes quiet. We stop every couple of hours. Everyone gets water. Biscuit gets his walk. We get our coffee.
It's not perfect every time. There are still bad days where one of them is just off, and those drives are harder. But the bad days are rarer now than the good ones.
If you're at the beginning of this journey (pun intended), don't get discouraged. Every pet is different, and figuring out your specific pet's triggers and comfort needs takes a few trips to understand. Keep notes — what helped, what didn't, how long into the drive things went sideways.
You'll figure it out. And your pet will thank you for the effort, in their own way. Biscuit's version of "thank you" is falling asleep on my feet the moment we arrive anywhere. I'll take it.
Have a tip that worked for your pet that I didn't mention here? Drop it in the comments — I genuinely love hearing what other pet owners have figured out.

0 Comments